Protecting Children Online
The Internet is a resource which offers a vast array of positive and useful elements. As parents there are many things in the real world that we shield children from, the same applies to the Internet.We give children advice on how to cross the road and not to talk to strangers etc so the same applies to their life on the internet
There are many sites on the Internet can be harmful for children, even if they are not illegal. Access to adult pornography would be one example that most parents would be aware of.
Recent studies have estimated that almost two thirds of content on the Internet is user generated through blogs, discussion forums, newsgroups etc. Some of these sites may contain content that could be harmful for children such as promotion of suicide, bulimia or anorexia. Like any other public place, parents and guardians can take steps to protect children on the Internet and the following tips offer a good starting point.
Tips for online safety:
- Keep your computer in a family room, not in a bedroom, that way you can supervise its use.
- Interact & communicate with your child while they are on the Internet - expressing an interest can be both informative and reassuring.
- Use your children’s expertise and learn from them.
- Encourage children to show you anything that makes them uncomfortable.
- Ask your ISP about how special filtering programs that can be used to help protect your child.
- If your child has a Social Networking profile you should also create a profile for yourself and make sure that your child makes you a "friend" so as a parent you can monitor it from a distance.
For more information on how to keep children safe online, visit https://www.betterinternetforkids.eu
Let’s all practice zero tolerance to child sexual abuse imagery. One report can make a difference. To the digital citizens out there, if you stumble across anything you suspect to be a child sexual abuse image or video, do the right thing, report it and once confirmed, with our industry and law enforcement partners, we will make sure such content is taken down as quickly and effectively as possible.
Report Illegal Content